Taking care of your lips is as good as taking care of your skin. Here are the best Japanese lip balms so you can give your lips the love it needs!
No matter whether it is winter or summer, your lips always need some extra love and care. Just like the rest of our skin, lips are prone to aging too.
The tender skin on our lips needs extra nourishment and love to keep them plump and rosy. Japanese lip balms are packed with important nutrients that will keep your lips hydrated, moisturized, and protected.
- Related: Best Japanese Organic Makeup Brands
- Related: Why Japanese Skin Is Flawless | Japanese Skin Care Secrets
Best Japanese Lip Balms: Quick Summary
Our lips tend to get affected by harmful UV rays and weather as much as the rest of our skin does, and so we need to find the best treatment for them. In this article, we have brought to you some of the best Japanese lip balms that will be your new holy grail for the lips.
Types Of Japanese Lip Balm
Medicated Lip Balm
Medicated lip balms is usually prescribed by doctors for extremely dry lips. An example of medicated lip balm is Mentholatum Medicated Lip Balm SPF 15. This type of lip balm is usually given by the doctor when you have some condition relating to the lips.
It has antibacterial properties and is healing in nature. It’s not safe to use it on a daily basis but only for the recommended time period prescribed by the doctor.
SPF Lip Balm
SPF type Japanese lip balm contain ingredients that protect your lips from the sun. It’s like a sunscreen for your lips.
However, if you have sensitive skin patch test the lip balm before use as some SPF ingredients can irritate the skin or cause an allergic reaction
Plumping Lip Balm
As the name suggests, this type of Japanese lip balm plumps the lips or makes it rounder along with moisturising the lips. These lip balm contain an ingredient that make the lips look plump. You might feel a slight tingling sensation when you apply the lip balm.
However, if you have sensitive skin, this may irritate the skin so always do a patch test.
Flavoured Lip Balm
This is my favorite type of Japanese lip balm. Flavored lip balms are so much fun to use and you pick one of your favorite flavor like strawberry vanilla or even chocolate. It smells amazing and makes you want to wear it all the time!
Tinted Lip Balm
I often can’t decide between a lipstick or just balm for the day. Thats when my tinted lip balm comes to use. You get benefit of both a lipstick and a balm!
Tinted lip balms moisturise the lips but also have color and will give your lips a light tint. It won’t give you deep color but just enough.
How to choose the best lip balm
Here are a few tips on choosing the best lip balm for yourself below:
- Ingredients: Ingredients are the most important part in choosing a lip balm for yourself as your lip blam should contain lip-hydrating ingredients. Choose a lip balm that contains hydrating and protecting ingredients like beeswax, cocoa or shea butter, lanolin etc. It’ll be an added benefit if your lip balm contains SPF formula that will help your lips to stay protected from harmful UV rays. Don’t choose a lip balm that contains salicylic acid, camphor, methol, or parabens as they’re extremely drying and exfoliate the lip skin.
- Flavour and Fragrance: Although it’s best to avoid fragranced lip balms as some artificial fragrances can dry out your lips. However, there are many lip balms that contain natural fruit flavours and fragrances. Choose the one that you like the most but if it consists of artificial fragrances, it’s best to avoid it.
- Treatment: Get a lip balm that addresses your personal lip issues like dryness, chapped lips, cracking, softening etc. Check for the ingredients if they benefit your lips in getting rid of the particular issue.
- Packaging: Lip balms come in different packaging like sticks, containers etc. If you’re looking for something that is easy to travel with and mess free then look for stick lip balms. However, you can choose a jar container of lip balm if you’re using it at home.
Japanese Lip Balms: Quick Glance
|Best Japanese Lip Balms
|DHC Lip Balm
|Curel Lip Care Stick
|Country and Stream Natural Honey Lip
|Mentholatum Medicated Lip Balm SPF 15
|Shiseido MOILIP Chapstick
|Dry and Peeling Lips
|Ettusias Lip Essence
|Arouge Total Moist Veil Lip Essence
|Kate CC Lip Cream
|Naiad Beeswax Lip Balm
|Shiseido Water in Lip Super Moist
Which Is The Best Japanese Lip Balm?
DHC Lip Balm
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Dry Lips
This is a must-have lip cream by DHC that gently takes care of your sensitive lips and keeps them moisturized. It contains virgin olive oil that keeps your lips moist at all times. The lip cream also contains aloe extract, licorice extract, and vitamin E. All these ingredients work together to give you super moisturized lips that last for a long time.
The lip balm naturally coats your lips without feeling any stickiness. You can also easily apply this on top of your lipstick. This is a great thing because it lets you hydrate your lips without ruining your makeup. There is no fragrance, so if you are somebody who gets overwhelmed by any scent, this is perfect for you. There are also no parabens.
- Great lip balm for dry and cracked lips
- Contains virgin olive oil, which is known as a natural beauty oil
- Also contains aloe extract, licorice extract, and Vitamin E that are essential to keeping your lips soft and supple
- Does not feel sticky
- Can be applied over lipstick
- Contains no fragrance or parabens
- Hydrates and moisturizes your lips
Curel Lip Care Stick
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Hydration
The famous lip balm from Curel does not tint your lips, but it does what a good lip balm is supposed to do; it hydrates your lips and keeps them plump. The lip balm contains moisturizing ingredients that protect cracked and chapped lips from severe dryness. You can use this lip balm as a base for your lipstick to ensure that your lips remain hydrated and moisturized.
This is a great lip balm for both men and women who wish to maximize the health of their lip barrier. You can also use this if you have sensitive skin without worrying about any reaction.
- Does not tint your lips
- Adds a nice layer of moisturization
- Protects lips from severe dryness
- Creates a protective barrier, allowing your lips to remain moisturized
- Can be used as a base before applying lipstick
- Contains moisturizing ingredients
- Best for both men and women
- Can be used by people with sensitive skin
Country and Stream Lip Cream
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Chapped Lips
What we love about this pretty lip balm is its heavenly fragrance of honey; it really draws you in. It hydrates your skin and keeps the moisture locked in for up to 8 hours, which is a great feat. It melts into your lips without leaving behind any stickiness. If you love the sweet scent of honey and need something that keeps your lips hydrated and moisturized, this is the lip balm you should go for.
- Sweet scent of honey that draws you in
- Keeps moisture locked in for up to 8 hours
- Melts into your lips without causing any stickiness
- Apply a few layers to get your lips plump and soft
Mentholatum Medicated Lip Balm SPF 15
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Coolness
This medicated lip balm is great for those who want to feel some coolness on their lips after application. The minty chill it gives is pretty good at making you feel fresh. This lip balm is great for the summers. It is not meant for super dry and chapped lips, but during the hot days, it keeps your lips moisturized and cool. The lip balm also does not add any shine after application, which is great if you do not want glossy lips.
- Leaves a minty coolness after application
- Adds moisturization to your lips
- Does not add a glossy shine to your lips
- Does not feel sticky on the lips
Shiseido MOILIP Chapstick
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Dry and Peeling Lips
Shiseido Moilip is a treatment for your cracked or chapped lips. It has moisturizing ingredients such as Vitamin E and Vitamin B6 that locks in hydration, keeping your lips away from dryness and roughness. Apart from these Vitamins, the lip balm also contains Allantoin and Gurirurechin acid; these help to reduce inflammation and repair wounds. Also, if there is a pain because of cracked and peeling lips, this lip balm will help that issue as well.
- The perfect solution for cracked or chapped lips
- Contains moisturizing ingredients such as Vitamin E and Vitamin B6
- Keeps your lips from feeling dry and rough
- Helps reduce inflammation
- Repairs wounds and provides relief from peeling lips
Ettusais Lip Essence
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Glossy Lips
The Ettusais lip essence is just as pretty in the application as it is in looks. The lip balm gives you a glossy finish, just like a lip gloss would. However, it does not feel sticky like one. In fact, this lip balm has a soft buttery smoothness to it. Although it is not high on hydration, it works well as a topper to your lipstick, to add a nice glossy sheen. It does not contain alcohol, parabens, or fragrance so you can be sure that this lip balm will not harm your lips.
- Pretty packaging
- Adds a glossy finish to your lips
- Can be used above your lip balm for a shiny sheen
- Soft and buttery texture
- Does not feel sticky on the lips
- Does not contain alcohol, parabens, or fragrance
Arouge Total Moist Veil Lip Essence
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Dehydrated Lips
The Arouge Total Moist Veil Lip Essense does what its name says. It creates a veil of oil on your lips that lock in moisture to prevent dryness and dehydration. It is like a block of oil that does not spread as other lip balms do. Instead, you need to tap it on your lips to get the benefits. The moisturization lasts for a long time.
- Creates a veil of oil
- Locks in moisture to prevent dryness, chapping, and dehydration
- Moisturization lasts for a long time
- Perfect for those with sensitive skin
- Contains natural ceramides to give your lips a deep moisture
Kate CC Lip Cream
Best Japanese Lip Balms for multi-purpose use
This is a multi-purpose lip balm that does it all. You can use it as a lipstick, a base, or a hydrator. It has a pinkish-red tinge to it that lasts for a long time, so it can work as a great replacement for your regular lipsticks. The formula is also not too tacky and does not cause a stickiness, allowing you to use it as a base for your lipstick as well. It also works well towards hydrating your lips and providing it with nourishment and suppleness.
- Multi-purpose lip balm
- Can be used as a lipstick, a base, or a hydrator
- Gives a vivid pinkish-red tinge to your lips
- The color lasts for a long time
- Does not leave a sticky residue behind
- Hydrates your lips and provides nourishment
Naiad Beeswax Lip Balm
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Dehydrated Lips
This is a hydrating lip balm that spreads like jam but does not leave behind a sticky residue. The packaging is extremely cute and the balm comes in a wooden container. It smells very nice and is not overwhelmingly strong. Although it works extremely well for your lips, it can be a bit of a challenge to scoop out the balm; you really have to dig in.
- Hydrating Lip Balm
- It does not cause stickiness on the lips
- Comes in a cute wooden container
- Not an overwhelming scent
Shiseido Water in Lip Super Moist
Best Japanese Lip Balms for Normal Lips
This is a light-formula lip balm that does not cause stickiness on your lips. It literally feels like water on lips because it does not feel like you have anything on your lips at all. However, if you have sensitive or cracked lips, this lip balm may not be the one for you. It tugs on your lips and does not melt with body heat.
- Light formula
- Does not leave behind a sticky residue
- Not for people with sensitive or cracked lips
Luscious and plump lips all the way!
With a good lip balm, you can get rid of all your lip-related woes. Get those plump and soft lips in no time with these best Japanese lip balms.
- Check out more beauty products from top Japanese beauty brands!
- For those no-makeup days, BB creams are perfect. Check out more best Japanese BB Creams here!
Erika is the main author of the website. She is obsessed with Japanese products and always looks for an opportunity to share her love for Japanese products with everybody around her! She combined her love for writing, research and testing products to create Best Japanese Products. When she’s not reviewing latest Japanese products, you’ll find her pampering her cats. Erika is the definition of ‘The Crazy Cat Lady’.