Sharpening a knife regularly ensures that you make the best of your expensive knives and they last longer! Check out these best Japanese knife sharpener to always keep things sharp in your kitchen!
When a knife stops working smoothly, our immediate response is to get another one. But, that is not the only option. If you are unhappy with the sharpness of your knife, then it may be time to invest in a knife sharpener!
Knife sharpeners are different from honing steels and stones, which are primarily used to maintain already-sharp knives. Knife sharpeners, on the other hand, are meant for blades that have become dull and need more attention.
Why do you need a Knife Sharpener?
Here are a few reasons why you may need to invest in a knife sharpener –
- Cutting with a dull blade is never fun. It also takes a lot of time and energy
- Sharpening knives yourself is much cheaper than getting it done professionally
- A razor-sharp knife will ensure highest productivity. You work faster with the least amount of wastage.
Top Japanese Knife Sharpeners
|Best Japanese Knife Sharpener||Type of Sharpener||Price|
|Kyocera Advanced Ceramics Diamond Wheel Knife Sharpener||Slots||$19.95|
|Brieto Water Sharpener||Wheel||$34.00|
|Minosharp Knife Sharpener||Wheel||$54.86|
|Shinkansen Water Sharpener||Wheel||$34.19|
|Miyabi 2-Stage Handheld Knife Sharpener||Wheel||$49.95|
|Zwilling Knife Sharpener||Slots||$29.95|
|King Knife Sharpener Whetstone Grit 6000||Whetstone Grit||$24.00|
|Fuji Merchandise K-45 Whetstone Knife Sharpener||Whetstone Grit||$15.99|
|Tatara Double Sided Whetstone Knife Sharpener||Whetstone Grit||$29.99|
|Minosharp Wheel Water Sharpener||Wheel||$49.96|
|Kota Japan 12-inch Diamond Carbon Steel Professional Knife Sharpener||Rod||$16.99|
|Yoshihiro Professional Grade Toishi Whetstone Knife Sharpener||Whetstone Grit||$94.99|
#1 — Kyocera Advanced Ceramics Diamond Wheel Knife Sharpener
This is probably one of the best knife sharpeners out there. It is an easy-to-use manual sharpener that is so handy, you will not have an excuse to put off the sharpening task. Only a couple passes over this industrial diamond whetstone will give the knives a super-sharp blade.
It is safe to use; the blade does not slip out while you are sharpening it. Like many other sharpeners out there, this one does not have an arched design. The handle is also carefully designed to provide maximum comfort and ease. The sharpener lets you work on a variety of blades: steel, stainless steel, titanium, and even ceramic.
- Easy-to-use manual sharpener
- Handy device
- Only a couple of passes can make the blades super sharp
- Made of industrial diamond whetstone
- Blade does not slip out while you are sharpening it
- Firm and carefully designed handle that makes it easy to grip it
- Works on a variety of blades such as steel, titanium, and ceramic
#2 — Brieto Water Sharpener
If you need a knife sharpener that will last you a long time, this is the one to consider. The sharpener features a water reservoir that you need to fill before using it. The reason for this innovative design is that the water reduces heat generated from friction. Thanks to this feature, both the knives and the whetstones last for a considerably longer time.
The sharpener is stable and easy to hold. It contains three types of grindstones, which can sharpen even the most common kitchen knives. With this product, you can sit back and relax for years.
- A long-lasting sharpener that will last for years
- Features a water reservoir that needs to be filled up before using it
- The water reduces heat generated from friction, which keeps the blades safe for a long time
- Stable and easy to hold
- Can sharpen even the most common kitchen knives
#3 — Minosharp Knife Sharpener
This is a user-friendly and hand-held sharpener that is an excellent product to help you return your dull knives to their original sharpness. It comes with a water reservoir that needs to be filled with water before using it. The water helps with the heat that arises due to friction. It also features innovative ceramic wheels that ensure that the blades are sharpened at the correct angle. The sharpening wheels are color-coded to denote rough, medium, and super-fine. The sharpener works well on almost all knives.
- User-friendly and hand-held sharpener
- Helps to return your dull knives to their original sharpness
- Comes with a water reservoir that needs to be filled with water
- Reduces heat that arises due to friction
- Features innovative ceramic wheels that sharpen the blades at the correct angle
- Color-coded sharpening wheels
- Works on almost all knives
#4 — Shinkansen Water Sharpener
It is an excellent knife sharpener that does its job pretty well. With a sturdy handle that lets you get a good grip, this sharpener is your knife’s ultimate savior. No matter how dull the blades are, this sharpener brings them back to life.
It works wonderfully on global knives, thanks to the sharpening wheels. The sharpening also happens at the right angle. This is again a sharpener with the innovative water reservoir system that reduces the heat caused by friction. The whetstone gives the knives an incredibly sharp edge. If your knife is slightly dull, moving it on the pink wheel works well. However, if you are dealing with a particularly dull knife, sharpen it on the white coarse wheel.
- Sturdy handle that makes it easy to grip
- Works on Global knives
- Sharpens the knives at the right angle
- Features a water reservoir that needs to be filled
- Reduces heat caused due to friction
- Two sharpening wheels for the perfect job
#5 — Miyabi 2-Stage Handheld Knife Sharpener
This is an excellent Japanese handheld knife sharpener that contains abrasives. This leaves a very smooth edge on the knives and makes them super-sharp. The sharpness and smoothness left on the knives are equivalent to the ones we get from electric sharpeners.
This knife sharpener is compact, small in size, and lightweight; it comes with two sharpening modules. The first one is a diamond-coated wheel that is coarse and great to use as a pre-sharpening module. The second one is a ceramic wheel that is used for fine sharpening and finishing. It has an ergonomic, non-slip handle that makes it easy to grip it while sharpening.
- Leaves knives smooth and sharp
- Small in size and lightweight
- Comes with two sharpening modules/wheels
- The diamond-coated wheel works great as a pre-sharpener
- The ceramic wheel is used for fine sharpening and finishing
- Ergonomic, non-slip handle that is easy to grip
#6 — Zwilling Knife Sharpener
The Zwilling Knife Sharpener comes with four distinct sharpening slots instead of the typical two or three. And it is these slots that make this sharpener so unique and different from the rest. Two of the slots are specifically meant for Asian knives whereas the other two are meant for standard western knives. The handle has been ergonomically designed to keep your hand comfortable while sharpening the knives. The bottom of the sharpener is made of rubber to prevent it from slipping.
- Wonderful sharpener that comes with four distinct sharpening slots
- These slots make this sharpener more unique than the others
- Two of the slots are meant for Asian knives whereas the other two are meant for standard western knives
- Ergonomically designed handles that make the grip comfortable and non-slippery
- Rubberized bottom to keep the sharpener from slipping
#7 — King Knife Sharpener Whetstone Grit 6000
The whetstone grit knife sharpener has a high grit that makes it ideal for honing a mirror-like edge to the knives. It has a plastic base, which leads to minimal slipping while you are sharpening the knives. It is an affordable and good-quality whetstone that is ideal for creating that razor-sharp finish.
Before using, you need to soak the whetstone for about 15 minutes in the water, after which, it is ready and convenient to use. The high-quality grit really works your knives and gives them that sharp edge.
- High grit that is ideal for honing a mirror-like edge to the knives
- Comes with a plastic base that leads to minimal slipping
- Affordable and good-quality sharpening whetstone
- Creates razor-sharp finish
- Soak the whetstone in water for 15 minutes before using
#8 — Fuji Merchandise K-45 Whetstone Knife Sharpener
This is yet another wonderful whetstone grit that helps sharpen your blade and give it that razor-blade sharpness. It is inexpensive, but that does not reduce its efficiency. The whetstone is glued to the base, which is made of plastic. The base is sturdy and prevents the grit from slipping. The strong grit can change even the dullest of the knives into an almost new-like state. Before using it, you need to soak it for about 20 minutes. After doing so, the whetstone is ready to bring a new life to your knives.
- Inexpensive option that helps bring a razor-blade sharpness to your knives
- Glued to the plastic base, which prevents the grit from slipping while you are working at it
- Sturdy base that provides a good grip
- Works even on the dullest of knives
- Soak for about 20 minutes in water before using it
#9 — Tatara Double-sided Whetstone Knife Sharpener
This is a straight razor sharpening stone that has been designed specifically to bring life to your dull knives. It works wonderfully on all types of knives and chisels them to bring out a razor sharpness in them. The whetstone is made of professional-grade Aluminum Oxide, so there is no need to use any oil on it. All you need to do is soak it in water and it is ready to be used.
The dual grit sharpening block is designed in such a way that it keeps your blades sharp and well-maintained. It comes with a non-slip bamboo base, which is great for maintaining firmness and steadiness when you are sharpening the knives.
- Dual grit sharpening block that helps keep the blades sharp and well-maintained
- Works on all types of knives, including chef’s knife
- Made of professional-grade Aluminum Oxide
- Does not need any oil; it just needs water
- Comes with a non-slip bamboo base that prevents the block from slipping while you are working on it
#10 — Minosharp Wheel Water Sharpener
The Minosharp wheel water sharpener is an excellent universal ceramic water sharpener that works magically in restoring the razor sharpness of your knives. Works for all types of knives, this sharpener features two sharpening wheels. The white wheel is rough and the pink wheel is medium coarse. You can use either of the wheels depending on the dullness of your knives.
Like many other Japanese knife sharpeners, this one comes with a water reservoir too. You need to fill it up with water before using it; it helps in smoothly sharpening your knives and bringing down the heat caused due to friction. The handle has been ergonomically designed and is great for gripping. It does not slip while being used.
- Ceramic water sharpener that restores the razor sharpness of the knives
- Features two color-coded sharpening wheels
- White sharpening wheel is rough and pink is medium coarse
- Comes with a water reservoir that needs to be filled before using
- Ergonomic and non-slip handle
#11 — Kota Japan 12-inch Diamond Carbon Steel Professional Knife Sharpener
This steel professional knife sharpener rod has been manufactured with state-of-the-art precision. It is an efficient sharpener that adds another life to the dull blades of your knife. The rod is intended to guarantee higher honing effectiveness. The ergonomic handle is designed for aesthetics and practicality. It also gives you a good grip while you are sharpening the knives.
- Manufactured with state-of-the-art precision
- Provides higher honing effectiveness
- Ergonomic handle for aesthetics and practicality
- Gives you a good grip while sharpening
#12 — Yoshihiro Professional Grade Toishi Whetstone Knife Sharpener
This is a whetstone coarseness honing stone with a 2.9-inch width to give you a more extensive surface territory to assist you with honing your blade all the more precisely. The 1000-grit functions admirably on dull and harmed blades. The stone is abrasive, which takes off a lot of material for refashioning a dull edge.
- Comes with a 2.9-inch width to give an extensive surface area
- Works admirably on dull and harmed blades
- Abrasive stone
Features of the Best Japanese Knife Sharpeners
Ease of Use
The first thing is that the best knife sharpener should be easy and comfortable to use.
Fulfills the Actual Purpose
The sharpener you pick should do the job correctly, i.e., sharpen the dull blades to razor sharpness.
Ability to Sharpen Different Types of Knives
Another important thing is that the knife should have the ability to sharpen different types of knives, not just Japanese knives.
Tips to using a knife sharpener
- Keep a steady movement. Do not work too fast as this can knock the sharpener over. Moving too slow can cause wounds.
- Avoid using too much force, which can make the sharp edge skip and chip the tool.
- Follow the instructions and practice on an old knife to understand how it works.
- Do not push or pull when sharpening a knife. Always follow the instructions when using a knife sharpener. It is essential to understand how the sharpener works. Generally, you push the cutting edge through the grating stones for the best outcomes.
#1 — How often should I sharpen my knife?
Stainless steel blades require less sharpening and honing when contrasted with carbon steel blades. In the event that you routinely sharpen your cutting edges, you would just need to hone them 2-3 times in a year. Likewise, in the event that you keep your blades without rust, honing them once in a half year ought to be sufficient.
The best knife sharpeners to bring back your dull knives to life!
These were some of the best knife sharpeners that work so well your knives will be enjoying a new razor-sharp blade. Get one of these Japanese knife sharpeners today and give a new sharpness to the dull blades.
- Best products to buy from DAISO Japan – a must-visit Japanese store!
- Get Japanese gifts for all your loved ones! Check it out!
- Here are some super cute kawaii things from Japan! Check it out!
Best Japanese Knife Sharpener
Check out these best Japanese knife sharpeners for precision while cutting!
Product SKU: 000987YTGH678
Product Brand: USD
Product Currency: Yoshihiro
Product Price: 94.99
Price Valid Until: 2021
Product In-Stock: Available