Looking for Japanese beauty secrets? Well, I can tell you all about it!
I am such a huge admirer of Japanese women and their wonderful beauty. Japanese women truly have one of the best skins that you will ever find. Their skin looks and feels super soft and young even without makeup.
And it’s not only their skin that is a cause of envy amongst women across the globe. They have gorgeous hair too. From lip balms to hair essentials, J-beauty products work great!
Japanese have been known for their magical beauty secrets that give them that glow and beauty. I have always tried to find out the best Japanese beauty secrets that can help me get skin and hair like theirs.
Related: K beauty vs J beauty
There are so many best Japanese beauty secrets that are still a secret, but I have still managed to find some beauty secrets that can help us get hair and skin as flawless as theirs.
Continue reading to find out how you can make changes to your skin and hair.
Must-know Japanese Beauty Secrets
Here are some Japanese beauty secrets that you need to follow:
Exfoliate with Azuki Beans
Japanese women have been using red beans for healthy-looking skin for a long time. Azuki beans are one of the best remedies that you can find. The beans are ground into either a fine powder or are left slightly coarse to help with blackheads or acne.
If you are tired of fine lines, it can really help diminish those. Azuki beans contain antioxidants and saponin, which is a naturally occurring foaming agent. These ingredients help to cleanse and tighten pores. The effect of this magical legume is absolutely instant.
It helps to remove dirt and dead skin cells as well as unclog pores and brighten skin. It does so by improving blood circulation.
You can make your azuki anti-ageing scrub yourself at home. You only need a coffee grinder. Take about half a cup of dried azuki beans and grind it into a semi-fine powder. Transfer the mixture into a jar and store it in the fridge for a few hours.
To use it, take about half a teaspoon of this mixture in your palm and mix a few drops of water. The paste should be thick. Wet your face and apply the mixture and spread it. Let it sit still for two minutes and then rinse it with warm water.
To notice visible differences, you should repeat this process at least two to three times a week. It will work wonders as it is one of the best Japanese beauty secrets.
Green Tea Offers Multiple Skin and Health Benefits
In Japan, green tea is a significant part of the lifestyle since it has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.
Additionally, the Japanese incorporate green tea extracts into a variety of lotions and tonics, as well as ground leaves into bath salts, as well as concentrated powders into body compresses and hair masks.
Known for its high concentration of catechin polyphenols, matcha is the ground form of green tea leaves.
That concentration of polyphenols has a wide range of benefits for health and beauty. Furthermore, tannins contain high amounts of tannins, which are known to tighten the skin.
The antioxidant properties of green tea powder can counteract UV ray-induced skin damage, restore the functionality of dying skin cells, reduce inflammation specially with acne-prone skin, and even out skin tone.
The Magic of Tsubaki Oil aka Camellia Oil
Japan has relied on tsubaki (camellia) oil for centuries to keep its women healthy and beautiful. Oils high in omega-9 fatty acids (also known as oleic acids) are often used to create hair products, and they produce hair that is voluminous, shiny, and silky thanks to their combination of essential proteins and glycerides.
To boost immunity, lower cholesterol, and balance blood sugar, tsubaki oil can be consumed. A user can apply it directly to skin or hair that is dry or acne-prone. Fried foods, such as tempura, can also be cooked using it as an ingredient.
Cooking oil from Tsubaki is considerably lighter and higher in vitamins than salad oil.
Maintain a traditional balanced diet
We always think that we can maintain how we look from the outside. But, that is not true. We have to maintain our beauty right from the inside. Japanese follow a diet that is rich in all essential nutrients. A traditional Japanese meal has a perfect balance that helps maintain beauty right from the inside.
The diet is rich in vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids. You should add seaweed and kelp that are rich in iodine and keratin, which are great for healthy skin, nails, and hair.
You should also add fish to your diet as it is rich in protein. There are also other superfoods that you should add to your diet including konjac, kinako, and natto. Their diet is one of the best Japanese beauty secrets.
Follow A Strict Skincare Regimen
Japanese women are very particular about following their skincare regime without fail. They adhere to this routine every day, which is why they have skin that is the cause of envy for many.
The regime followed by the Japanese includes a total of seven to eight steps, which most of us think to be too much work.
However, it is because of this extensive procedure that Japanese women have glowing and smooth skin. The steps include a cleanser, foam wash, toner, serum, emulsion, brightening serum, and cream. Repetition of all these steps is the reason behind that skin. This is why Japanese have flawless skin.
Double cleansing is a big thing in Japan that is followed religiously by women in Japan. Cleansing is a crucial step in skincare in Japan.
This is a process that is repeated about two to three times for the best results. Japanese use Japanese cleansing oils that are quite heavy and yet gentle on the skin.
These cleansers are rich in Vitamins and help to keep toxins out of the skin. The cleansers also help to minimize the appearance of pores and keep the skin clean. Clear and beautiful skin is all about double-cleansing.
Magic Of Massage
Massaging is yet another step that is followed by Japanese women to keep their skin youthful. One of the simplest things you can do for your face is to use your palms.
All you have to do is apply some lotion or moisturizer and place your palms on your face. This not only helps the lotion penetrate deep inside, but it also helps stimulate the brain. Massage is one reason why the Japanese have flawless skin
Use rice bran to nourish the skin
Rice bran is one of the most used magical ingredients by the Japanese. It has tons of beauty benefits as it is full of antioxidants and other useful ingredients. Japanese women use rice bran to make scrubs, facials, and other useful body treatments.
Rice bran helps to fight all skin-related issues, such as aging and blemishes. It makes your skin toned, tight, and soft. You can easily use this wonderful ingredient at home to give you a glow-up at home. Simply boil three large tablespoons of rice bran in a small pot for a few minutes.
You will know that it is ready when the water turns cloudy. Strain the rice and save the water as this can be used for your facials. To use it, add milk to the rice. Also, add a tablespoon of honey. Make sure that the paste you make is sticky enough so that it sticks to your face.
Clean and dry your face before applying the rice mask. Let it dry and use the rice water you kept aside to remove the paste from your face.
This mixture helps to moisturize your skin and to improve blood circulation. It also helps brighten your skin and reduce any dark spot and is one of the best Japanese beauty secrets.
Use Vitamin C
Japanese women have long valued the skin benefits of vitamin C and have used it for centuries as a natural skin whitener and as a cure for age spots, wrinkles and other skin conditions.
Today, health care professionals and consumers are also discovering the skin benefits of vitamin C and are using it for healthy skin and for treating conditions such as acne and sunburns.
To make the most of skin benefits of vitamin C, consider choosing a skin care product that offers pure, stabilized vitamin C (like vitamin C serum) rather than a product that offers vitamin C derivatives.
Add Skincare With Mushroom Extracts To Your Routine
Mushrooms offer several potential benefits for the skin due to their unique nutritional and bioactive compounds. Different types of mushrooms contain various bioactive compounds that can contribute to skin health in different ways. Here are some ways in which mushrooms may help the skin:
- Antioxidant Properties: Many mushrooms, such as reishi, chaga, and cordyceps, are rich in antioxidants like polyphenols and flavonoids. Antioxidants help neutralize free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can cause oxidative stress and damage to skin cells. This can aid in preventing premature aging and maintaining skin’s overall health.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Some mushrooms, including shiitake and maitake, contain compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation in the skin can lead to various skin issues, such as redness, acne, and irritation. Consuming or applying products containing these mushrooms might help calm inflammation and promote smoother skin.
- Hydration and Moisture Retention: Tremella mushrooms, also known as “snow mushrooms” or “silver ear mushrooms,” are valued for their ability to hold water. Extracts from these mushrooms are used in skincare products due to their hydrating properties. They help the skin retain moisture, resulting in a plumper and more supple appearance.
- Collagen Production: Some mushrooms, such as tremella and lion’s mane, contain compounds that are believed to stimulate collagen production. Collagen is a protein that maintains skin’s structure and elasticity. Enhancing collagen production can contribute to smoother, firmer skin.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Mushrooms are a source of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin D, B vitamins, and zinc, which play roles in skin health. Vitamin D, for example, is important for skin cell growth and repair.
- Wound Healing: Compounds found in certain mushrooms have been studied for their potential to enhance wound healing. Extracts from certain mushrooms, like Ganoderma lucidum (reishi), have been shown to promote skin regeneration and speed up the healing process.
Japanese Women Swear By Collagen For Their Skin
Collagen is popular in Japanese skincare because it is believed to have many benefits for the skin, including:
- Improved skin elasticity: Collagen is a protein that gives the skin its structure and elasticity. As we age, collagen production decreases, which can lead to wrinkles and sagging skin. Collagen supplements and creams are thought to help to boost collagen production and improve skin elasticity.
- Reduced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles: Collagen supplements and creams are also thought to help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Improved skin hydration: Collagen is a humectant, which means it helps to attract water to the skin. Collagen supplements and creams are thought to help to improve skin hydration and reduce dryness.
- Reduced appearance of age spots and hyperpigmentation: Collagen supplements and creams are also thought to help to reduce the appearance of age spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Improved overall skin health: Collagen is thought to have many other benefits for the skin, such as improving skin texture, radiance, and clarity.
Seaweed Is Another Popular ingredient in Japanese Skincare
Seaweed is a popular ingredient in Japanese skincare because it is believed to have many benefits for the skin, including:
- Moisturization: Seaweed is a natural source of humectants, which means it helps to attract water to the skin. This can help to improve skin hydration and reduce dryness.
- Antioxidant protection: Seaweed is rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage cells, leading to premature aging and other skin problems.
- Skin brightening: Seaweed contains compounds that can help to brighten the skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Antimicrobial properties: Seaweed has antimicrobial properties, which can help to protect the skin from acne-causing bacteria.
- Exfoliation: Seaweed can help to exfoliate the skin, removing dead skin cells and revealing newer, brighter skin underneath.
Seaweed is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of skincare products, including cleansers, toners, serums, masks, and moisturizers. It is generally well-tolerated by most skin types, although it is important to patch test any new product before using it on a large area of the face.
Japanese Love Hot Baths
Hot baths are popular amongst the Japanese for a number of reasons, including:
- Hydration: Hot water can help to hydrate the skin, which can make it look and feel smoother.
- Relaxation: Hot baths can help to relax the muscles and promote feelings of calmness and well-being.
- Skin exfoliation: The heat and water can help to exfoliate the skin, removing dead skin cells and revealing newer, brighter skin underneath.
- Improved circulation: Hot baths can help to improve circulation, which can bring more nutrients and oxygen to the skin.
- Reduced stress: Hot baths can help to reduce stress, which can have a number of benefits for the skin, including reducing inflammation and improving sleep.
Why Japanese Skin Is Flawless
There are many factors that contribute to the flawlessness of Japanese skin. Some of these factors include:
- Genetics: Japanese people tend to have naturally fair skin with less melanin production, which can lead to a more even skin tone and less visible blemishes.
- Diet: The Japanese diet is rich in antioxidants and other nutrients that are beneficial for skin health. For example, green tea is a popular drink in Japan and is known for its antioxidant properties.
- Skincare: Japanese people have a long tradition of using skincare products, and many of these products are formulated with natural ingredients that are gentle on the skin.
- Lifestyle: Japanese people tend to have a relatively stress-free lifestyle, which can also contribute to healthy skin.
Of course, not all Japanese people have flawless skin. However, the factors listed above do contribute to the overall health and appearance of Japanese skin.
Here are some specific Japanese skincare tips that you can try:
- Double cleanse: This means using an oil-based cleanser first to remove makeup and sunscreen, followed by a water-based cleanser to remove any remaining dirt and oil.
- Use hydrating products: This includes toners, essences, serums, and moisturizers. Look for products that contain hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or ceramides.
- Wear sunscreen every day: Sun exposure is one of the leading causes of premature aging and skin cancer. Make sure to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day, even on cloudy days.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep is essential for overall health, including skin health. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eating a healthy diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help to improve skin health. Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive amounts of alcohol.
- Manage stress: Stress can take a toll on your skin. Find healthy ways to manage stress, such as exercise, yoga, or meditation.
By following these tips, you can help to achieve healthy, glowing skin, just like the Japanese.
What is the best Japanese skincare product?
There are so many wonderful Japanese skincare products available in the market, but out of all those, the DHC deep cleansing oil is the absolute best.
DHC deep cleansing oil helps to remove even the toughest of makeup products quite effectively and easily. It helps clear your skin and gives it much-needed nutrition. If there is one product that everyone needs to incorporate in their skincare regime, it is the DHC deep cleansing oil.
I hope you found the products that will help you achieve that flawless beauty possessed by Japanese women. These are beauty secrets that have been tried and tested by many, including me.
So for all of you who, like me, admire the beautiful skin and hair of Japanese women, I have brought to you some of the most amazing beauty secrets of the Japanese that will benefit you as well.
Trust me, these beauty secrets really do work wonders and you will be able to see and feel the difference in no time. So, dear ladies, do give these amazing Japanese beauty secrets a try.
Erika is the main author of the website. She is obsessed with Japanese products and always looks for an opportunity to share her love for Japanese products with everybody around her! She combined her love for writing, research and testing products to create Best Japanese Products. When she’s not reviewing latest Japanese products, you’ll find her pampering her cats. Erika is the definition of ‘The Crazy Cat Lady’.